To contain the spread of coronavirus, New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut have announced a shutdown order for nonessential businesses across the tri-state region, with each state publishing its own interpretation of what constitutes an essential business.
Solidus, an essential business as part of the construction industry, is committed to conducting our work in the safest possible fashion, observing all CDC guidelines, including latest updated practices for cleaning and disinfecting, social distancing, and any other strategies and recommendations as they are made available. All employees able to work from home are being strongly encouraged to do so.
Financial institutions are also classed as essential businesses. Banks and credit unions continue to provide the vital services people need, while implementing extra precautions, including modified branch hours, branch access by appointment only, and in some cases limited drive-through hours.
The banking industry accounts for a large fraction of our client business, and we are watching the situation closely in terms of official announcements and other directives that might affect both construction companies and financial institutions as this situation develops. We wish our clients and the community at large every success in our collective efforts to flatten the curve, and we will continue to make available the highest level of service we have always provided in whatever way we can.
Construction and banking were also classed as essential businesses in Massachusetts, another state where we are engaged in current projects. Our clients’ and our own designation as essential businesses are covered by the shutdown order for Connecticut as follows:
- critical operations support for financial institutions
- financial advisors
- financial institutions, including banks, credit unions, and check cashing services
- all skilled trades such as electricians, HVAC, and plumbers
- general construction, both commercial and residential
- other related construction firms and professionals for essential infrastructure or for emergency repair and safety purposes
- planning, engineering, design, bridge inspection, and other construction support activities